Thursday, September 23, 2010

Eyesight Focus Training Update

As the days go on, I'm getting more and more hopeful that I can eventually throw away my glasses. I've been doing my Yoga eye exercises each morning and night, with at least an hour of meditation, and when I wake up, there are noticeable improvements in my vision, whether it is the ability focus at distance, or focus faster. Some days I get discouraged by worsening vision with glasses, but I just have to remember that the prescription has likely become incorrect for my improved eyes.

I have been experimenting with focusing techniques - although the focusing at the moment is not perfect, if I relax my eyes (without squinting or narrowing them), details in the distance become in very sharp focus as if I'm wearing my glasses. Early on, I would strain due to eye dryness, and it would cause me to lose the focus, but I've resolved this by practicing to properly blink. If I manage to stay relax, I can hold the focus, but I also have to hold my gaze, which takes a lot of practice if you are easily distracted - That's why I think eyesight training also builds up your self-discipline to become more focused mentally too.

So, I noticed that without my glasses, parts of the overall scene captured by my eyes, there will be certain parts that will be detailed, and some that aren't. I figured that the parts that had detail, eg, text would be readable, or fine textural details were pronounced, were because my eye knew how to focus them - in that some kind of eye muscle memory was able to recall the focus length for that particular distance. For normal sighted people, focusing is an analogue process, but with my myopia I'm only able to focus at the distances that my eyes remember. So with this fact, I decided to develop a new technique for focus training, which I will call focus leading. I don't know if it has ever been covered by anyone before, but I certainly have not read it anywhere else.

I begin by finding a part of a scene (which overall) is kind of blurry to me, and locate a part which is unusually in sharpest (these are not necessarily the closest to me). This part isn't always fully in focus, so I begin by relaxing my eyes and my mind, allow it to come gradually into focus. Now I have it in focus, I move my eyes, slowly and with precision, to a neighbouring part, giving enough time for my eyes to slowly adjust the focus to adapt. This may be similar to holding a pencil, in focus, in front of your eyes, and slowly moving it away, to build up your ability to focus further and further away, but it has the advantage that your eyes can move back to the original location as a reference whenever it needs to find the focus again - I imagine that the focusing involved is very delicate, and the yoga eye exercises allow your eyes to be controlled with with extreme precision.

You may not begin with a scene, perhaps it is better to begin with a grouping of objects. By focus leading, you can quickly put a close group of objects into focus. Using each successful focus point as a stepping ladder onto the next one, you build the ability to see a whole scene, although it will not be perfect, and you may have to keep revisiting certain points, I believe it is a good exercise and I understand this is perhaps the way that babies also learn to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment